Regulations for granting the Małopolska Region Award of John Paul II Veritatis Splendor
Regulations for granting the Małopolska Region Award of John Paul II Veritatis Splendor, called the Veritatis Splendor Award, for outstanding contributions to the promotion of intercultural dialogue between cultures in a cultural, social and interreligious dimension.
The Małopolska Region is an initiator and organiser of the Małopolska Region Awardof John Paul II Veritatis Splendor, called the Veritatis Splendor Award, for outstanding contributions to the promotion of intercultural dialogue between cultures in a cultural, social and interreligious dimension.
The Award is intended to highlight the importance of actions and attitudes open to other cultures, overcoming stereotypes, and aimed at knowing and coexisting with other people.
The Award is granted in recognition of attitudes, achievements and merits of the Holy Father John Paul II in the field of dialogue between cultures and the entire mental achievements related to the adoption of the idea that attitudes of mutual respect are a prerequisite for any fruitful cooperation between people.
- The MałopolskaRegion Award of John Paul II Veritatis Splendor, called the Veritatis Splendor Award, is granted for outstanding contributions to the promotion of intercultural dialogue between cultures in a cultural, social, interreligious dimension, taking into account the overall and individual achievements.
- The Award is granted to individuals or legal persons in recognition for their lifetime accomplishments or achievements of significant importance for the Małopolskie Voivodeship, whose activities and achievements are based and linked with the following values:
1) Stimulation of creative processes and promotion of the opportunities for people and communities for development through respectful dialogue with others;
2) Promotion of an active attitude of tolerance treating cultural identity as a value rather than a reason for exclusion;
3) Search and exploration of fields of dialogue and cooperation among different cultures, in particular for the protection of inalienable natural rights of individuals;
4) Promotion of solidarity and social justice;
5) Acceptance of an ethics of solidarity (understood as the idea of the common good and care for marginalised people in modern societies);
6) Dissemination of knowledge about the values and rules respected in various cultural groups;
7) Respect for human rights and dignity;
8) Skillful transformation of conflict situations into the conditions of cooperation and collaboration of individuals or groups representing different cultural traditions;
9) Promotion of the need for making intercultural dialogue and deeper understanding of various views and practices;
10) Creation of places for intercultural dialogue and teaching intercultural competence.
- The amount of the Award is equivalent to USD 100 000 and is paid according to the average exchange rate on the last business day preceding the day of transfer. The amount of the Award is reduced by income tax due.
- The financial Award is accompanied by a commemorative emblem.
- The organiser of the Award is the Małopolska Region, called the Organiser.
- The Award is awarded every two years.
- The procedure for granting the Award takes place in the following stages:
- First stage – the announcement of the edition of the Award, made publicly known, together with the deadline for applications of candidates for the Award, during the International Conference of the Veritatis Splendor Award, subject to § 2, section 7;
- Second stage – sending candidates for the Award;
- Third stage – evaluation of candidates by the Award Committee;
- Fourth stage – selection and announcement of a laureate of the Veritatis Splendor Award;
- Fifth stage – granting of the Award;
- The Award may be granted only to one laureate in a given edition.
- The Award can only be received once.
- The organiser may withdraw from granting the Award in a given edition.
- 1st edition of the Award will be held with the exclusion of the International Conference of the Veritatis Splendor Award.
- A laureate will be selected by the Board of the Małopolska Region by resolution, as recommended by the Award Committee.
- The Committee of the Veritatis Splendor Award selects a laureate of the Award from among the applications submitted by individuals, legal persons or other legal entities.
- The Award Committee includes 13 members appointed by the Board of the MałopolskaRegion from among the international group of individuals coming from intellectual, social and cultural circles.
- The members of the Award Committee will be listed in the content of the announcement about the Award.
- The members of the Award Committee shall perform their functions for one term, which lasts four years.
- The membership in the Award Committee ceases as a result of resignation submitted to the Board of the Małopolska Region by the Member of the Award Committee, the loss of the Member’s full legal capacity or death. In this case, the Board of the Małopolskie Voivodeship shall appoint a new member of the Award Committee for the period lasting until the end of the term of the Member whose membership has ceased.
- In justified cases, the Board of the Małopolska Region has the right to dismiss the Member of the Award Committee.
- Membership in the Award Committee is honorary, and its Members shall be entitled to reimbursement of travel expenses to and from the place of meeting of the Award Committee and the Awards ceremony, as well as to the reimbursement of related costs of accommodation and meals.
- The works of the Award Committee are headed and chaired by the Chairman of the Award Committee, elected for a given term.
- The Award Committee, when assessing candidates submitted for the Award, take into account the criteria mentioned in § 1, section 2 hereof.
- The Award Committee decides about the selection of a laureate of the Award by simple majority vote. The presence of at least 7 members of the Award is required for making a decision in this regard. In the case of an equal number of votes, the Chairman’s vote prevails.
- The Award Committee is permitted to work and vote by using electronic means or mail.
- The selection of a laureate of the Award is final and without appeal.
- The works of the Award Committee are handled by the Organiser.
- The applications for the Award may be submitted by individuals, legal persons or other entities within the time specified in the announcement (date of receipt shall be taken as a proof).
- The application for the Award constitutes acceptance by the applicant of the Regulations of the Award.
- The application for the Award must include, in accordance with the model annexed to the Regulations:
1) application form (including an electronic version on CD, DVD or similar with saved files in a non-editable format), including in particular: candidate’s name and surname or the name of institution / organisation submitted for the Award, details of submitting person and information about candidate’s achievements.
2) submitting person and applicant’s statement about the consent to the processing of personal data.
Any changes to these Regulations will remain valid after their official adoption.